Sunday, July 01, 2012

Diamond Jubilee Invitation

This story is brought to you today as part of Sian's Storytelling Sunday.

At 4 o'clock one evening H's school called. After quickly reassuring me that nothing was wrong, they explained the school had twelve invitations (six for our school, and six for the school nine miles down the road that they are joined to) from Lord Lieutenant of Northamptonshire to attend the Queens Diamond Jubilee Picnic at Burghley House. They informed me that Harry had been one of the six selected from school to attend the picnic.A letter would follow to confirm the details.

WOO HOO!! I'm not sure who was more excited me or him...........what am I on about........of course it was me!! A teenager that spends most of his time horizontal...... excited......!!

I REALLY REALLY wanted to go with him.

So June 13th arrived and off I sent him with his picnic.......money for a program (you have to have a keepsake) .....a rain mac (you can't trust the British Weather)..... and a camera (ummm....would he actually remember to use it). 

"Make sure you do take some photos for me and nan please Harry."
"Yes mum" he replied with that look on his face (you know the one) and a roll of his eyes. 

I thought about him all day, watched the royal coverage on the news and waited in earnest for him to return home. 

Later that evening after discussing his day we had a look at the few photos he took.

On Arrival at Burghley House
 
 Queen Elizabeth II arriving by helicopter. That's her in the blue.
Just after she planted a tree in the gardens.
and then when she was leaving.
























I'm sure this is an occasion he will always remember.
Burghley House have added a royal visit page to their website here if you'd like a look.

Thank you for stopping by, if you'd like to read more stories then be sure to hop over to 

32 comments:

  1. How fun - and I'm glad he remembered the photos - that last one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, how exciting. You must have wanted to magic yourself into his rucksack for the day. Such great photographs he took for you, and memories for him. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photographs are excellent! just what you expect from a teenager - how many pictures of his friends from school were also on the camera - as a practice run...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I was more in awe of, the fact that he was there and saw the Queen or the fact that he did take some really great photos!!! A great memory for him for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting....and what a shame you couldn't go with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky that he got selected! He must have known his scrapbooking mum would not accept no photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome for him!!! so exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He did well with his photos. What a lovely opportunity for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great thing to do and so glad he remembered to take photos my son would probably forget, lose the camera or both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that last picture is papparazzi - worthy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done to him with his photos - great for you to scrap! Glad he had a good time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a special thing to do. I'm sure he will remember it. Good work with the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting! And he did capture a few wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what an exciting thing to get a phonecall about! They really should have let mommy's go along too...teenagers still need their mommy's sometimes ;) Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting and he remembered to take photos....result:) She visited Hatfield House down the road from us and two classes where invited to meet her... unfortunately it wasn't my class.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous experience for him - lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Lucky guy? Was he picked for a reason or was it just random? Well done to him for remembering to take some photos too, what an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Harry did well with the photography. How cool to be invited.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting and what a wonderful experience, bet he quietly enjoyed it. Good to see photos of Burghley. Many an day spent there, attending the trails and going for walks during my teenage years as it was on my doorstep. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! What an amazing experiece. You should have gone too. I hear she did a walkabout in Stamford afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, how splendid! He did well to capture these. The house is amazingly grand ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how neat for him! And so great that he remembered to get some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an exciting trip to have been invited on, for the special Jubilee weekend :) and what great photos he took for you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well done to him for getting some photos. I bet you were rather jealous! Lucky him to have been invited :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so enjoyed this!!! I am a bit envious here in the states we just get a boring old president, so I have to soak up all the royalty I can get from here. And what lovey photos with such an amazing backdrop of that "house" which to me looks like a castle!!! Thanks so much for giving us a taste of the Diamond Jubilee celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am glad he even remembered to take the photos!!! What a fab day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great day he must have had and well done on him for taking some lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your harry took some great pics!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well done Harry! Fab pics of a fab day:) Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A scrapbooker in the making? I know he'd probably cringe at the thought, but learning how to remember feels important to me and I think he has a wonderful teacher in a mum like you! I love this - especially as we drove past Burghley on our travels just a few days ago. I'm wishing we had stopped in for a look now. Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...