Sunday, August 05, 2012

Olympic GB

We'd been toying with the idea of a visit to the Olympic park, with no tickets and a check on the website we found that there were no longer tickets available to visit the park over the weekend.

Oh what to do.......a quick call to my sister (I love spending time with them all!) yep they'd like to come with us so we travelled down to West London yesterday in the most horrific rain. We couldn't see for the rain on the motorway and the cars were slowing down to 30/40 miles per hour. I warned the boys we may not get into Central London after all there's no point if the rain continued like this......good old British weather!!

We'll have a cup of tea at my sisters and decide what to do. A check of the Transport for London website said that this weekend was the busiest day for travelling into London, expect to double your journey time! Oh and apparently you weren't being allowed out of Stratford station if you didn't have an Olympic ticket! On the plus side the weather was to brigten up with sunny spells.

My sister lives within a two minute walk to a tube station so we decided to go for it but we'd stay clear of the Olympic Park. Southbank here we come.

I was amazed at the Olympic fever. The trains were full of Olympic volunteers, Olympic althletes and officials and well as many many Team GB supporters.At Bond Street Emily Diamond  stood next to me on the train, smiled at be because Stan was having a winge!! My nephew spoke to Seychelles Judo Olympican Dominic Dugasse, and a USA Official.

Everyone was in high spirits, it was jam packed without a doubt, Southbank it's self was heaving........still we had a super day, lots of laughs and we got to meet and see more celebraties.
 Mr Bean.........Stan thought he was hiliraous. He loves Mr Bean!!

  Michael Jackson
My nephew invited to sit with them!
Ok so these are not celebrities, they were by far my favourite street entertainers. These bronze figures were slumped under a tree......drunk. The time and thought that has gone into the costumes and face painting was amazing.

We arrived back to West London in time to see Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford win Gold. 

All in all it was an amazing day.

This post is brought to you as part of Sian's Story Telling Sunday, please pop across to join in or read more stories.

P.S. Don't be put off by the travel reports into London. Our journey times were normal, the trains were busy but not unbearably. Thanks to Mel and her London Blog posts as she was the reason we made the decision to go.  

23 comments:

  1. What a great day out and wonderful photographs. You captured the excitement of being in London so well even if you didn't get into the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a day, I would have loved to have been up there bet the atmosphere is amazing. Bet the boys will be talking about it for weeks. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos give such a wonderful flavour of what it must be like to be there in person. It's a lovely post - I can't believe how much I have enjoyed all the coverage on tv (because I am the leat sporty person you can imagine!), but I'm actually wiashing I was there too now. So I'm delighted to at least know someone who made it in person!

    Thanks for adding your right-in-the-moment story to our collection today Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like everyone had a fine time even if Olympics tickets weren't available. Your photos are terrific, especially the one of the Michael Jackson mime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you get there Lou. It was worth it just for the buzz and the atmosphere wasn't it? And Southbank was so fun too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to give the kids great fun memories like that! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time and your photos are really fabulous.
    Hugs Merethe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great time and have some lovely photos too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Louise - looks like you all had LOTS of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a fun day. I wasn't expecting to take much interest in the Olympics but have been glued to the screen. I'm really jealous of my sister who has tickets for the stadium every day this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been loving my commutes around London so far normal or quieter than normal travel. Glad that you had a good time. The Southbank is one of my favourite places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, great photos!! Good on you getting to London to see it all in person!! We have thought about but decided against it in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great day out Louise..I'm sure London must be a great experience at the moment!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh good for you going despite :)
    We are going to try our luck in Hyde Park for the triathlon on tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's so good to see photos of what is happening during the Olympics :) I love to see how the fans are having lots of fun. We experienced fever when it was the Vancouver Olympics, but not the same when you are acutally in the city hosting :) Thanks for sharing the fun photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a fun day and got to experience some of the Olympic fever. Those street performers look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We went to the Olympic park yesterday and even though it was busier than Tuesday it wasn't that bad and travelling on the tube seemed fine. I really want to go to Tower Bridge and see the rings hanging there would make such a fab photo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have been toying with the idea of taking my son up to london to experience the olympic fever...i think i will now!! it looks good fun and not too unbearable, thanku!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so pleased you and your family managed to make it into London, the Olympic atmosphere is just great there at the moment. I'm glad we went, even if you didnt get to the Olympic park I'm sure your kids will remember what a great day they had. And yes the goldefals we won that day was a bonus....go Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great day out. I am very jealous and so glad that you decided to make the trip even with the initial bad weather. That is most certainly a story that will stay with your family for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, it looks like you found some fun. Cool street performers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I simply couldn't depart your website prior to suggesting that I really loved the usual info an individual provide on your guests? Is going to be back incessantly to check out new posts

    Here is my blog post ... openbox s9 hd pvr fta satellite receiver

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...