Sunday, September 02, 2012

Storytelling Sunday

This is a scheduled post as we have been away all week and today (Sunday) is the start of a new rugby season. Fingers crossed the start of the season isn't a wet, cold and muddy one!

Today is the 2nd of September, the first Sunday of the month and Sian's Storytelling Sunday.
Without further ado here is my contribution.

June 2012
I have to start this story by explaining that a few years ago Stanley (who's 8) made a decision not to eat Pork.....more specifically bacon sandwiches. This has caused numerous problems....like when he goes to friends house and they are having pork for tea and he says " I don't eat piggy's" and the sausages I buy have to be beef or chicken *wink wink* !!

Ham sandwiches though are ok, as ham comes from boys pigs and it's only girl pigs that he doesn't eat!! Hmmmmm!!
 
You see pigs are his favourite animal and if he ever wins the lottery he will (I have no doubt) buy himself a pig.
awwwww.......
So the story begins with a lovely Gammon dinner. 
We haven't had Gammon steaks for a long while and the boys tuck in except Stan.......

Stan: what's this? 

Harry: It's fish.

Phew.....Quick thinking Harry *wink wink*

So we chat and eat and eat and chat. The boys clean their plates......dinner was a success *yay*

Harry: Serious face: Yum that was lovely fish!

Me: bewildered face: Harry that wasn't fish it was Gammon......you know....gammon..... from a pig.
 
Harry: puzzled face:   Oh.....I thought it was fish, there is a fish called Gammon, isn't there?

Dad: very amused face:   Harry it's Gammon not SALMON!!??!!??
 
Fits of laughter followed but left me wondering what I teach my children! 

For a very bright boy I put this down to a moment of madness and one for my Story Telling Sunday.
 
Be sure to pop across to Sian's to read more stories.

30 comments:

  1. pigs are cute, I know how he feels!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very quick thinking family, Louise. Lovely family memory and a great photograph. Irene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I've come across a few stories this month about childhood misunderstandings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, and that is a cute pig photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salmon... gammon.... there's not much difference ;) :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! Such a perfect little glimpse into a happy family dinner table. I love it, really gave me a smile.

    I love pigs too - for a while everyone in the family bought me pig related Christmas presents so I started to tone down my enthusiasm a bit lol

    Thanks for the story Louise and best of luck with that rugby season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once mentioned how much I like cows. Same thing happened--an avalanche of cows descended upon me!

      Delete
  7. ha ha ha! I love this. Especially the not eating girl pigs! What a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids are so fickle! Although I'm not a big one on eating fish and so my husband has been trying to find ways of making me eat salmon - perhaps he should say its gammon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fantastic! I especially like the difference between eating girl pigs and boy pigs.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my what a cute story! Really, looking at that little piggy can you blame him for liking them! Just love the fact that ham is from boy pigs so he will eat that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think pigs are too cute to eat too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, but pigs tastes so good! I do admire Stanley for sticking by his principles but he is missing out on so much deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PMSL! Well they are both pink I guess. At least they all ate it, favourite animals notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is hilarious, I just had to read it to my hubby as I'd laughed out loud at the Gammon-salmon bit! Apparently a guy he works with also thought gammon was a fish, so Harry isn't alone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of gammon, but I'd probably eat it! Funny that both boys thought they were eating fish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. a good read Louise! I had a hard time eating pig after watching that movie `Babe``!

    ReplyDelete
  17. a good read Louise! I had a hard time eating pig after watching that movie `Babe``!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol I did laugh when I read this, did Stanley not pick up on it? Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. How funny - not eating girls pigs! Hope the match went well good luck for the new season.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it ..... we recently had a discussion about Sea Lion pie....nope Key Lime Pie :D Made us all laugh too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. pigs are my favourite animal too and I looked after some for a while but knew they were destined for bacon etc one day. Yes I do eat bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Was it backgammon or front? Actually, I had never heard of gammon, so I had to look it up. Me, I'd love some, pork is my favorite (don't tell).

    ReplyDelete
  23. lol at gammon/salmon! The Boy won't eat meat - except for bolognese. For some reason the mince in that is OK. I don't know why. *sigh*...

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is classic, that really made me smile. My son used to be full of things like that, it took me ages to convince him that Grandma School was actually called Grammar School - I think he had visions of a school full of old ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I used to love pigs too and got bought a lot of piggy ornaments when I was in my teens, but I gave a lot of them away when I was at uni as there were so many!

    I also tried not to eat pigs, but got won over by bacon sandwiches. What made my mum laugh was that I'd eat bacon, but I refused point blank to eat a super cute piggy birthday cake that she'd bought for me. The thought of cutting into it made me cry and I had to leave the room while everyone else ate it! (I was about 10 I think). We're fans of both gammon and salmon here! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sure there's a method in his madness lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my goodness thats so cute! and only 8, cor i have a lot yet to come with my two!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...