Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Simply sew it up

For all you ribbon lovers, this month over at Fantastic Ribbons the DT are sharing their "Sew it Up" projects throughout October.

Using orange polka dot ribbon, a wider orange ribbon and a little lace ribbon (I love how delicately detailed this is)  I set up my sewing machine and got to work. I love the colour orange.. it reminds me of Satsumas.....which reminds me of Christmas....and with having boys I find it also makes a refreshing change on layouts from the usual blues and greens.
On top of the World!
There is not a patterned paper in sight, its amazing what a little ribbon (and green dot washi tape) can do.

With a few birthdays on the horizon the orange looked beautifully bright on these cards too.

 I've tried to illustrate in the photos below how I made these little polka dot bows. I hope it helps.
 
1. Take two stripes of ribbon approx 2" in length. 2. Shape each end on one of the lengths. 3. With the other length fold each end under to meet in the middle and hold it down with some double sided tape. 4. Take another small section of tape and adhere the folded ribbon onto the straight ribbon. 5. Place the bows on your card or paper and line up under your sewing machine 6. A single length of stitching down the middle holds the bows firmly in place. Finish with a little pearly on top.
I got a little carried away with these cute little bows.
  

Thanks for stopping by, have fun making your own little bows and stitching on your ribbon.

20 comments:

  1. These bows are great Louise! I love the splashes of colour on the layout too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That orange colour is so striking against the white. Fabulous layout and cards:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Louise, love all the white space on your layout, and the little pops of orange are fab. I'm going to have a go at the little ribbons you did on your cards too!Bx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh cute! Love the different effects of the washi tape - grounding on the LO and as a background on the cards. Pretty bows too, I've never sewn those always just secured them with tape but I like the look of the stitches across the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how the bright orange pops on both your page and your cards! Thank you for the tutorial! Your little bows are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Louise, I *love* these! Especially how the orange pops on the layout, with the delicate white stitching :) And thanks for the tutorial for those cute little bows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not really an orange lover but love it on the layout and cards, so bright and cheery. Those bows are so cute as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love those cards louise and when I get a moment to myself will give them a try

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lou - I love them. I can feel some copying coming on :-)
    You need to show me ow to do the splatty thing. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lou - love the card. I can feel some copying coming up...
    You have to show me how to do the splatty thing

    ReplyDelete
  11. The liitle bows are so cute - there isn't a card subject that they wouldn't work for! what a clever design that is

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, those bows are going to work wonderfully in lots of different projects! Thank-you for the instructions and photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am another lover of orange and those bows look great, thanks for the tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving these creations Louise :) The green, orange and white combo is fab and the stitching on the layout really adds something. I may have to pinch, I mean try that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful? I love Fantastic Ribbons too!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today and I'm going to follow you now as we seem to like the same things!

    Jakix

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the layout and the card. And thanks for the how-to too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely project Louise, beautiful layout, Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh, i do like these, theyre very striking.love the colour combos too. i think i will have to get that sewing machine for xmas after all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic layout and cards, I just love the pop of the orange ribbon! Orange is one of my favourite colours on scrapbook layouts for some reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That orange is lovely and bright, and the little bows are brilliant! Thanks for the tip on how to make them! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...