Sunday, December 02, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree

This story is brought to you as part of Sian's Storytelling Sunday. If you'd like to join in or read more stories then you'll need to pop across to From High in the Sky. 

I missed last months STS as we were on holiday, so I'm glad to be joining in again this month.

December 1993
We'd moved into our first home together six months previous and this was to be our first Christmas together in our own home.

I was excited, I wanted a real Christmas tree. I wanted to come down in the morning and be able to smell Christmas. One evening after work in Early December we took a trip to a local garden centre where we could pick our own. We stood amongst hundreds of trees all in bays according to height. He pulled a tree out and I said "too small". We walked to the next bay. He pulled out another tree "too small" and the next bay "still too small"

There was a family there also picking out their Christmas tree. They were in the large (much much larger tree section). "Those are far too big he said following my gaze." "maybe they are" I said pulling out another tree, a blue spruce which didn't drop its needles. "That one's too big as well Lou, we need a smaller one". "No no, this one will be fine" I said, "Lou, it's too big......."

Needless to say we ended up going home with the tree I chose. At this point I should mention that all the trees were netted. 

We arrived home and hauled the tree into the living room. Carefully he cut the net....

*ping*    *ping*   *ping*
"Oh my goodness" 
  The tree fell free of it's netting and pinned me to the wall the other side of the living room!
He took great pride in saying "told you so" *laugh*

The tree was massive...really really widely massive. The back had to be chopped flat against the trunk so it would fit and the bottom had to be lopped so we could get it in the stand.
This week we will go as a family to choose our tree and yes you guessed, we buy a non-netted tree, I let him choose the size while I look to ensure that it has the right proportions!

Thank you for stopping by and enjoy your Christmas preparations x

20 comments:

  1. LOL that is just what would happen in our house as well, love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am giggling at the thought you you being pinned to the wall by a Christmas tree. Lovely story Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha it does look really stunning though. I love having a real tree too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he, oh yes many a time have we cut the netting and been surprised at the size of the tree. But they do look do ...so...Christmassy. Lovely story and great memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a year like that, all my own fault too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely story! I bet there were quite a few 'I told you so' looks coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - a tale that I think a lot of people can identify with! Just yesterday my friend was telling me she'd been "trapped" by the too-big tree tipping over from the weight of all the baubles on the front side! We've never had a real tree ... ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely! Smelling Christmas is very important to me too and we always have a real tree. I can remember those feelings when we bought our first tree together - you have described it so very well.

    It's great to see you back this month Louise - and your support throughout the year has been very much appreciated. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops - but the story and the memories of being pinned to the wall by the tree are worth the laughter right? :) We don't do a tree and I do miss it at the moment - enjoy your carefully chosen one this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Been there, done that . . . over and over. We never learn!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story! This happened to us one year early in our marriage too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah but did he lie it across the back of the settee to cut the bits off? Mr M did and we were still getting sawdust out of the carpet twenty years later!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely story,I am looking forward to see your christmas tree for this year:):)

    Wish you a lovly week.

    Merethe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your story reminds me of the scene in the Christmas Vacation movie with those branches knocking everything over & breaking windows. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love your story! Ha! I would love to have a real tree, we always had real ones growing up. I'm afraid though my cats would also love a real tree!! So we stick with the fake kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very humourously told! And there is nothing quite as nice as a really big tree ... :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely story - and we have been there too - with a tree that had to "trimmed"" to fit! Thanks for the memory! J x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great story about your first Christmas together. So cute - I bet you two remember that Christmas every year. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha, that's funny. It's the other way around with us normally, I have to tell hubby that things won't fit. Though he always surprises me with how much he can fit into our car after a trip to Ikea! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...