Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Simply a Moment

After a break from school and work it's hard to get back into the swing of things...isn't it?
 Especially when on the eve of returning to school/work you have to spend hours in A&E with your eldest son. So on my return to work the following day my mind was once again drifting away from work. It so happens that it was the 15th of the month and on this day each month Alexa encourages us to record a moment in time.  
Monday 15 April 2013.
It's three thirty and I reach for my mobile phone. I dial H's number to see how his day was at school. All day he has been on my mind. Has he been in pain? Did his teachers get my email, sent late last night. Will he be given help and consideration for the next few weeks or so while his hand heals.
Are his friends helping him?  How did he manage to eat his lunch? How did his art work turn out? I smile, recalling our conversation last night when he said it couldn't turn out any worse than when his hand didn't hurt. All these thoughts and worries.... come on H answer your phone, tell me everything was alright. 

 
After eventually speaking to him he had taken it all in his stride and everything was indeed alright!

My poor man fractured and chipped a bone at the base of his thumb during a game of Rugby when he was away on Tour at the weekend. He can't remember exactly what happened only that at the end of the game his hand hurt. The swelling told us it was a little more than a sprain. 

Thank you Alexa 

18 comments:

  1. Oh no he has our sympathies :(
    Hope it heals soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear, I know how you feel, I hope it heals quickly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, poor Harry, hope it heals quickly, so he will be on the sidelines for a few weekends with you then?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went through that with a daughter who broke her wrist on her very first try at snowboarding. They heal well! But I can definitely relate to your moment of wondering how his day went.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me on the edge of my seat while your moment unfolded, Louise ... So sorry to read of his injury, and hope it gets better very soon. Glad he has such good support at school: must be a relief for you! Are you going Phew! yet? It was lovely to see your post, and thank-you so much for linking up and joining in this month :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job capturing how a mom's moments are often full of thoughts about our kids. I hope the injury doesn't keep him away from rugby.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a moment that all of use parents have had! i hope he heels quickly x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless him! That's so typical of a rugby player not to know how or when it happened and only realise after the game has finished! Hope he's okay and that he manages to get back to playing before the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Us mothers, often seem to worry even though our kids are doing just fine :) I hope he recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, the Phone Call moment... My lad has a habit of turning off his phone - he just hasn't got used to keeping it on. Today he sent me a message, asking if I'd pick him up from school, as he wanted to stay an hour late and work on a project. I sent 3 messages during the day, to say I'd check if I could fetch him, ask about the "late bus" (which usually leaves an hour after the normal school bus), then to confirm I could collect him. I got no answer to any of these - I strongly suspect he turned the phone off after he sent me his original message! (grrrr!!).

    I hope your lad is soon feeling better and that his hand isn't hurting any longer. At least children's bones mend quickly and easily. He'll soon be back to the rugby playing (and you back to the worrying!).
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've really captured that "on my mind" feeling when someone is out of sight but not - out of mind! I hope he heals up quickly..the perils of the Rugby Tour, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor chap, hope he's on the mend soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I add my well wishes to all the others for a speedy healing. And I can so relate to all those worries a Mom would have. Luckily for us they do take it all in stride - I'm sure just being with friends made him feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch - yep the perils of Rugby, hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope he'll be better soon!
    xx
    cris
    lalchimisteartisane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to be so late catching up, Louise...I see from your current post that the thumb is actually fractured...hope he doesn't stress too much about the SATS and heals quickly
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouch! Hope he is soon healed. You made me laugh with his comments about art :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw poor lad. So many questions running through your brain - I could feel the anxiety of the situation. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...