Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I have been baking. No.2 son was 11 this month and away with the school on his actual birthday. I never thought about how I would feel not having him at home on his birthday and wasn't prepared for the overwhelming relief I felt when he arrived home and stepped off that coach.

What was more of a relief was to hear how the teachers decorated his cabin with banners and balloons and how they all woke him at 6.30am singing happy birthday "very very" loud.  He enjoyed his day where he got to demonstrate the activities and later on in the dinner hall he was presented with a birthday cake and the whole year group sang happy birthday to him. 

Here he is, tired and dirty after enjoying a fun packed week of activities including abseiling, kayaking, zip wires, low ropes, high ropes and quad biking....

and the baking.
 This was his request. Kit-kats, M&M's, Sprinkles and Blue Butter Cream. I have tried on numerous occasions to convince this boy that blue butter cream is the same as white/vanilla. I've shown him how the colouring works - but someone just isn't having it! 
Rocky Road...is not something I have ever made before and a while back I promised the boys I would make some and we'd see if they liked it. I found a Nigella receipe. I also found that this receipe was so easy to make, tasted divine, so divine that a second batch was made a week later with a suggestion to have a Rocky Road birthday cake next year.

Do any of you make Rocky Road? If so, I wondered if you use condensed milk and dessicated coconut in yours? The ingredients in the receipes I looked at vary...so I was thinking of trying the condensed milk one next to see what the difference is, any ideas? 

14 comments:

  1. Awww that was really nice of the teachers to do that for him :) I think it would be hard for me to not have one of my kids home on their birthday and it would probably be a bit hard for them too so it is so wonderful that they still made it special for him! Mmmm the cake and the Rocky road looks delicious! Sorry I have never tried making it so no idea about the differences and I totally agree with your son, blue icing has gotta taste better than plain white :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like he had a great birthday and that cake looks amazing! I've never made Rocky Road but I've eaten plenty of it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made rocky road but never used condensed milk or coconut in mine. I imagine that the coconut will go well with the cherries tho look forward to hearing about your taste comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad he had a good trip with the school & 2 special birthday days :)
    I tend to use this Lorraine Pascale recipe
    http://www.housebites.com/blog/the-rise-of-lorraine-pascale-her-rocky-road-bites/
    for rocky road which is a huge hit at our place but instead of the maltisers I add marshmallows & raisons to pretend its got something healthy in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that they did that for his birthday! Love the cake, I may use kit kats for a pirate ship cake I'm making soon, as they'd look just like wooden planks! I've always followed a similar Rocky road recipe to Nigellas, not sure about condensed milk. Coconut sounds good though (I chuck whatever is handy into mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's gorgeous! Those eyes are stunning. Right now I'm really missing my boy who is in Costa Rica for a school trip.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a special birthday..that'll be one to remember for ever. I was away on a Guide Camp for my 14th and it still stands out in my mind

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great memories he's going to have of this birthday!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. He must be very popular with his teachers for them to go to all that effort! What a birthday though! I make tiffin rather than rocky road but I eat it all myself so its banned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a handsome young man! And your dessert looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah for teachers - Princess will be away for her birthday next year and I'm not looking forward to that. Looks like he had a good time - the cake looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would choose blue over white any day and I know that all that is different is the colour! LOL The cake looks yummy! We make rocky road with whatever we have on hand and usually only use melted chocolate to bind it. I haven't ever made it with condensed milk. One of my kids fav additions is cut up snakes (or any other gummy like sweet) along with the obligatory marshmallows. But it is very common in Australia for rocky road to have coconut in it. Anyway you make it, chocolate coating your fav sweet treats has to be a winner all round!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thos cakes all look very yum! I don't make rocky road but I'd be happy to eat it!

    I was working away from home for my daughter's 3rd birthday and it felt very wierd, I missed her a lot. I don't suppose she noticed though! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cake look incredible! Can you rustle me one up for Friday please? My ds is 12!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...