Sunday, June 02, 2013

Story Telling Sunday - Pick my Precious

 Already we are half way through the year, today is the first Sunday of the month and it's time for Story Telling Sunday and Pick Your Precious hosted by Sian from High in the Sky

If this is new to you then you may wish to hop over and see what Sian has to say about it all.

Each month I have no idea what to share until I am reminded of PYP. Who'd have thought I had so many precious things to share other than the obvious. For example I have lots of things that are precious to me, that I see every day.....some jewellery for instance... an ornament or two. I have things tucked away that I know are there, that are very precious indeed. Today though I'd like to share something that I have had for many many years, most of my working life in fact and it is not something that immediately springs to mind as precious. 

A keyring!

 I'm not like some people who carry a big bunch of keys. I have one keyring which holds three keys. This keyring is ebony and has my name carved in it. It was a present from a lady I once worked with.

When I first started work 26 years ago, this June, fresh faced and straight out of school, it was in an office in London ((for the same people I still work for!! )).  I was given a desk next to a lady who had just returned from Maternity leave.

I'm not sure if it was the following year or the year after when she returned to work after her holiday in Nairobi, Kenya bearing gifts. She had brought us all, on the team, a keyring each.

The keyring is made from ebony. I am sure. I am sure because something in the back on my minds says so and because after all these years of daily use, being thrown in bags, pockets and dropped on the floor,  it has only a few small marks. 

I often wonder how this lady is....how her husband and children are. 
I also wonder if she'd be surprised to know that her gift has been with me everyday, every since she gave it to me.

31 comments:

  1. That is a lovely precious and even better with your name on it! It has stood the test of time as I have been through about 5 key-rings in that same time frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely precious and it's always those things that we see every day that seem to be overlooked. It would be amazing to try and find the lady who gave it to you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is precious! thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! and I really like the thought behind it..that we can give a gift and have it live on with someone for years and years unbeknownst to us. That is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet she would be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story, I wonder where she is now? I bet she never imagined that it would be such a favourite for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bet she still thinks of you too. A lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely for a gift and how lovely to 'discover' it as your precious, it is a brilliant key-ring. I have awful keyrings and am always on the lookout but never seem to see anything I like and would be any use whatsoever, I hope you get another 20-odd years use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story,thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a thoughtful work colleague you had. Such a wonderful gift that has stood the test of time. Very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely gift, and I'm sure she'd be thrilled to know you were still using it! as a teacher I've never experienced people bringing stuff back from holidays, as we're all off at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful reminder of a lovely lady & your first job x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely key ring and wonderful that you still have it all these years on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too like the idea that something given as a (probably not too deeply thought about) present can grow and become a precious. Small things can have big meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful precious item! I think sometimes we take for granted the things we use everyday and they get to be commonplace, so I really enjoyed that you recognized this as a precious item & shared it with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! It's unbelievable to me that you have the same key ring from 26 years ago---and that you still use it!! That's great! What a wonderful memory that you carry with you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How thoughtful of her to get your gift made and how precious that you still have it all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful that she went to the trouble to get the keyring made for you and how precious that you still use it every day all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How thoughtful of her to get your gift made and how precious that you still have it all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely that she gave you this lovely gift, but also lovely that you still treasure it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gosh - that is precious - and lovely that you still treasure it. She must have been a very thoughtful lady - and I am sure she would be delighted to know you still have it. Thank you for sharing. J x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your key ring obviously brings back so many memories of that time in your life, Louise
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your key ring obviously holds lots of memories from that time in your life, Louise
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  24. A super story and an object full of memories, I hope you are keeping well and had good hols with the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great item to feature. And it is beautiful.
    rinda

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's cool that you've kept using it since the day you got it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad your keyring has survived so long--it may repel nicks and scratches, but I'm willing to bet it's been polished by your enjoyment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad your keyring has survived so long--it may repel nicks and scratches, but I'm willing to bet it's been polished by your enjoyment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm sure the lady would be delighted to think her gift was still in constant use. I can just imagine how smooth it must be after all these years. I'm very late joining in and catching up this month!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great story... love that you picked something used everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is cool, I like how you've had it so long and it's survived. It's good to have a few small things that become part of our lives. I bet the lady would love to know you still use it - she probably thinks of you sometimes too. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...