Thursday, June 20, 2013

You Sparkle

Recently I have been using my mists for backgrounds. It is a messy process - for me anyway. I end up with the stuff everywhere. I like the masks and have been tempted to buy one or two that I know I would use. However when I added everything to my shopping basket and it went over what I thought was reasonable to spend, something had to go. 

Masks or Papers!! Hmmm what would you choose? 
You'll see from the layout I'm going to share with you today that the new MME Find your Wings and Fly papers won.

so.... with no masks......what is a girl to do?

Make her own? 
Not a bad idea.....now I did think about cutting out my own template, instead I opted to use washi tape

I love how a little washi tape can transform a layout. I also love how the tape is repositionable...over and over and over. It's not often that we stick something down and are then able to move it effortlessly when we decide we don't want/like it where it is. For me this is the best thing and because of this ((not forgetting that it comes in all different wonderful colours and patterns)) my collection of tape is growing.

So this is how it worked for me......I created a chevron effect slightly off center.
Then misted the page (in the garden!) spraying over the washi taped chevrons with a blue mist and adding droplets of yellow mist.  Ideally you should let your mist dry....me, I'm far too impatient and carefully pulled off the tape.

This is what it looked like.
 and this is what I ended up with.
This photo was taken at seaworld late in the afternoon. We were slowly walking across the bridge towards the shamu stadium. A couple were taking photos and I asked if they would like me to take one of them together...(ever the scraper!) In return they took one of us all.

 He made us laugh when he said ".....now we just need mom to smile !!" 
 One last photo to show you the washi taped chevrons up close
It's not very often I share how to do something here- I always feel that if i know everyone else does too. I've had a few comments recently where i've been asked how it was done so this time I remembered to take some photos.

Enjoy the rest of your week.



24 comments:

  1. must try that technique, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant Louise!!! I love the result and your step by step! I have to try your technique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like seeing the step by step process and the end result looks great! I always offer to take pictures of other couples hoping they will return the favour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous background Louise x
    This is not a technique I have tried so many thanks for the "how to" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always a fabulous layout and love the homemade mask. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful page, I love that washi idea....I'll have to borrow it :) Super photo, loving all those chevrons...I know that spot...we had a near miss with a lightening bolt whilst contemplating the short way across the bridge or around the outside of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no maks at all so i am really pleased to see how to do this Louise as I can give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant tutorial Louise, Glad you shared. Can you get 12x12 masks? I love creating things from random stuff, will definitely be giving the washi tape masks a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your page is awesome!! And I like how you created your own mask. Like you, I find the mists messy. I usually go outside and spray. I've often had less than desirable results. Soooo, I'm taking Heidi Swapp's Stencil Magic class starting on July 1st. I'm hoping to learn a lot about masks and mists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely effect! (and a gorgeous mist colour)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab page Louise love the way you used Washi tape as a mask
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever use of Washi Tape!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great use of. Washi Tape, Louise!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea - I'm giving that a go :) Great lay out too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome work!! Love that you used washi for masking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I spray on the patio for the same reason. Fun idea to use the washi tape as a mask - good excuse to buy more and of course you can use the altered tape later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome! I just love this

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a neat idea - I would not have thought of using washi tape, but would probably,have fiddled around endlessly with bits of masking tape. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such a great idea and one I will definitely be trying x

    ReplyDelete
  20. popping in to say hi
    Fab Layout Louise....I really must start crafting again, not scrapped for over a year and think i've retired lol from card making x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful background Louise! And I love out it all turned out too. You've inspired me to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This page looks gorgeous, it is lovely to see you all smiling together!

    Fab tip with the washi tape - you should share more 'how to' photos! Some people may know how to do it but other people won't - and sometimes it's just good to see things done a different way. eg. someone might have thought of misting over washi, but to do it in chevrons down the page - awesome! Plus it shows how much work went into the page which makes us appreciate it all the more :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...