Monday, July 08, 2013

Storytelling Sunday - Pick Your Precious

Storytelling Sunday on a Monday . I knew what story I wanted to share yet the time flew by and before I knew it, the first Monday Sunday in July had arrived. On the first Sunday of each month Sian hosts Storytelling Sunday . If you haven't already you might want to pop across to Sian's and take a look.

This is a story that I wish I had more to share with you. It starts in Liverpool. My husbands family on his mums side are Liverpudlians. Last year we were visiting C's grandparents when his grandfather gave him these two Saws. Now you might think....Saws....why are these precious? I'm with you there.....yet these are no ordinary Saws.... 
 This is where the story begins, six generations ago, with C's great great Grandfather. 
 
 He was married to Henrietta and together they had four boys (boys really do run in our family!).  He was a Shipwright (Ships Carpenter) and his job was to cork the decks of ships. These two Saws are over a hundred years old and it is believed that they were used on the building of the Titanic, that C's great great grandfather worked on.
If this is the case. Imagine the stories that these Saws could tell. They are well used as you can see. One is a rough cut Saw the other a fine cut...each Saw has his name engraved on the handle twice with his initials too. He was definitely making sure that these remained in his possession. Each one comes with it's original cover and string to hold the cover on. They have been used and they work/cut perfectly....even all these years later.
I have so many questions going around in my head. For instance, most of us know that the Titanic was built in Belfast, registered in Liverpool yet sailed from Southampton. I would like to know if he was Irish and moved with his family to England to settle in Liverpool at a later date. Or were the decks corked in the UK.  One day I would like to research further, in the meantime we will be visiting C's Grandfather in the summer holidays so I will be trying to see what else I can find out. 

Thank you for stopping by. I have a busy week ahead yet I hope to get around to visiting all your story's soon.

14 comments:

  1. I can see how these would be so precious to you and how you would wish to find out their history. A truly precious pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, I think original things like that hold so much history. My grandad was a carpenter, and my mum had some of his tools framed in a beautiful box frame which she had up in the house, with a plaque to say who they belonged to. I definitely want to inherit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful tools with a great story! I love the photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..and maybe one of these days you'll make a visit to Titanic Town to do some research and I'll be able to give you a hand. The Public Records Office is right beside the big new Titanic Exhibition!

    It's a wonderful story, and I love how it promises more to be revealed too. The photos are so evocative..it's easy to imagine them being used in a hard day's work. What a lonk to the past. I love it. Thanks Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! They certainly made things to last back then! Researching the Titanic would be fun. There is a Titanic museum in Cobh, just outside of Cork in Ireland. I had intended to visit it when we lived in Ireland but unfortunately we hadn't gotten around to it yet when we unexpectedly decided to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what amazing things to have. Even I'm getting excited about the research you'll be doing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow what a piece of history!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely! tools these days aren't made to last the way they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is wonderful. I love these kind of things that hold so many stories, yet to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that really is a precious story and so very well narrated! My paternal Great Great Grandmother was from Ireland and I would love to know where she came from and what made her move here with 5 small sons and no husband! You must put the sequel up if it ever reveals itself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, how fascinating is that?! My Dad would love the saws even without the story ;-) Good luck with your pursuit to find out more and don't forget to update us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic piece of history!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really recommend the Titanic Museum in Belfast. It's fascinating and Sian is the perfect hostess.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I like old tools - knowing a bit of their history makes them still more interesting. Hope you find out more details.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...