Monday, September 16, 2013

Simply a moment


Yesterday was Sunday. Sunday is the day when I watch my three little men play rugby.

Sunday 15 September 2013 11.15am
I stand between two pitches.....shivering. There were blue skies this morning, I should have known better it's always very windy up on these top pitches. I must remember to sort out my hat, the one with the pompoms that my mum brought me, it covers my ears (you can laugh....but I can't bear the pain the cold wind has on my ears). I look at my feet and wish I had hooked out my snow boots. What has happened to the weather, it feels like someone has flicked a switch and turned Summer into Autumn overnight. Only last week I was still in my flip flops and now I'm thinking about my thermals..Brrrr.
Instagram photo taken last Sunday.
My shivering stops as J runs over to the sideline and takes his weather proof training top off. I am in shock. He never takes his training top off! His cheeks are flushed. His big smile reveals his green gum shield.  He runs back. I think it must be because their new coach has kept them moving all morning. I look at my watch and think about walking hobbling over to watch S for a while.

It doesn't take long for S to see me standing at the sidelines. He's in the middle of a training game and the other side have scored a try. He walks back to the centre. Looks over. Gives me the thumbs up. His pink (yes pink!) gum shield showing as he smiles.

I watch him play..... and think about my telephone conversation with my husband this morning.....He is with H who is also training away today. His session will possibly be the toughest one he's had so far. Brutal is the word that springs to mind from our conversation. Brutal....!!......oh my....
  

Thank you to alexa for suggesting we take a moment or two. 

P.S. H came home in one piece....phew! :)

22 comments:

  1. Oh I did smile reading this but at the same time feel for you standing there each Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must make you proud to watch them train/play, but reading this, I'm so glad my boy is not sporty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a commitment you both make to enable them to train and play. Oh, and I was right there shivering with you - Autumn? Winter, more like! Hoping there was a little warm something later for you. Thank-you so much for joining in this month and with such vivid writing letting us see into a bit of your weekend world. Lovely to see you :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I would love to do this every week in this climate. I have never seen my husband play football and he is apparently pretty good - now I am on maternity leave I am resolving to take Ellis to watch him play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about the weather. we lit a fire at the weekend it was so cold! I love watching rugby but standing on the sidelines is always chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so remember weekends on the sidelines watching my boys. I also remember getting flattened when the game fell off the pitch and onto the crowd. The ground was soft and soggy so it didn't hurt but the smell of the mud never left that coat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I was with you shivering remembering that wind. So glad H came home in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been at the sidelines on many occasions, it's what mum's do!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think not only is this enjoyable for us to read, but the boys will also love it in years to come when they appreciate what you did for them! TSO and I were talking about all the effort we both put into her ballet lessons when she was younger, and if I had a piece like this to show her? that would have been brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I remember so well that shivering standing on the sidelines! And oh yes - where did our summer go? Definitely a flicked switch somewhere - time to unpack the "winter suitcase" methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same, I HATE having cold ears, they hurt so much! You must be so proud of your boys, even when you're in the cold and rain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very well described moment ~ I have this still to come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written Louise x
    I too hate the cold & the boys laugh at the layers I wear to watch them play!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I often bring out my ski jacket and snow boots to go watch the kids sport in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! your moment brought back memories of standing on the side lines in the freezing cold watching my son play. A lovely moment, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, fun! Never had rugby or the joyous hassle of more than one kid in the same sport at the same time....such a juggling act! Sounds like you are quite a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great moment and I agree that it's like a switch has been flipped and we've gone straight from summer to winter! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I well remember the days freezing my bum off on the sidelines while my girls played soccer. Don't miss the weather, but do miss watching them play.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was always thankful that my son chose indoor sports to pursue! Loved reading this, thanks for sharing your moment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally with you on the hat front. I hate the slightest bit of cold in my ears and I was useless as a sub waiting to go on to play rugby. I am not looking forward to that aspect of my babies growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cherish these days---they go by so quickly! I know what you mean about the change of weather. It always comes as such a surprise---and I don't know why. I try to be prepared, but still...I'm not quite ready for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also hate cold! I hope my baby girl will prefer 'interior' sports when she'll grow up...

    cris
    lalchimisteartisane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...