Friday, June 05, 2015

Flower Power

Hello and welcome to a little series of posts on creating your backgrounds

My last post shared the small watercoloured background with you. 

The remaining backgrounds use Tim Holtz Distress inks. I preferred how much easier it was for me to blend the colours together.

While making these backgrounds I snapped some process photos.

For each background I used watercolour paper because it's thicker and doesn't warp like normal card does when you add water to it.

I took a outline stamp (from a Banana Frog stamp set) and in Versamark ink stamped out the flowers. This Versamark ink is clear so to avoid overlapping the flowers I stamped one flower at a time, covered it in embossing powder, then moved on to stamp and cover the next flower, until the paper was covered. The embossed flowers were then set with a heat gun.

The photo above shows the flowers once it's heat set.

Mixing some water with Tim Holtz distress ink I used a paintbrush to colour in the large flowers. You can see I wasn't too precious about staying within the lines.


The orange was a little vibrant for the muted effect I wanted to achieve, so I used kitchen roll to absorb some of the ink colour.
The gaps were filled in with yellow ink.


A few orange splats were flicked over the card with a paintbrush once it'd dried.

On a scrap piece of watercolour card I stamped, embossed, coloured and cut out two separate flowers. 
These were added to the vellum sentiment using foam pads.

Do you have a favourite flower stamp that you use over and over? I've had this one for a few years and it's seen a lot of action.

If you'd like to hook out your old heat gun and embossing powder then please feel free to join in and create your own background for a card or even a layout. 

 If you do please leave a comment and link me up and i'll send a little card related gift in the post to one of you.

Thanks for stopping by.

14 comments:

  1. Just lovely! I do like 'how to' posts :). I like the varied tones from strong to more muted, and the transluscent strip behind your sentiment just enhances that. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, love the end result. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. great technique and I have that banana frog stamp set, will have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your process, Louise, beautiful finished card! It's been too long since I've done any heat embossing, thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed seeing how you did this. Now I need to buy a heat gun too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great technique Louise. Very pretty. I enjoy working with Distress inks and I'm going to give this a go over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card:D
    Your card and Layout are fabulous too.

    Have a nice day.

    Merethe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very effective. I like the fussy cut flowers and that lovely crisp sentiment on the vellum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow Louise!! What a great process to step through. Love the outcome and you present it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such prettiness!! I've just played with a new flower stamp too. I forget how stunning a single cut-out blossom can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty Louise! I think I might try this with dd when she's finished her exams and has some time to play :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great tutorial, I'd love to have a go. The background you've created is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just enjoyed a scroll through to admire your backgrounds - I like the touch of having extras to make it more 3D. Glad you are having more time to play - could it be linked to the lack of rugby?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...